Skip to content

Communities Come Together During NB Ice Storm

It was a very busy two weeks for, not only NB Power crews, but for other linesman from Quebec, PEI and Nova Scotia, as they worked long hours to get the lights back on, after last month’s major ice storm.

Over 130, 000 residents were left without power at the height of the storm, but despite some frustrations, NB Power spokesperson Deborah Nobes says they were very supportive.

“A lot of support for our crews, and we want to thank them for that, because we think our crews are awesome too. It’s been not a great time, but it’s been really impressive and inspirational to see how people really work together to support one another. Hundreds of volunteers came forward to serve meals and look after each others neighbours.”

The provincial government will be doing a review of all of the emergency response teams who worked during the ice storm, and Nobes says NB Power will be taking part in that, “We keep really good records and notes, and we make sure we can improve as we go through the event, but we also have a really good conversation on what we can do better next time.”

The hardest hit region was the Acadian Peninsula, where some residents were without power for around ten days.

NB Power crews are currently watching closely as another system moves into our region tonight. and that is expected to bring snow, ice pellets and freezing rain.

Author

Do you have a news tip?

Submit to NBNews@radioabl.ca.

loader-image
Moncton, NB
3:28 pm, May 18, 2026
weather icon 21°C
L: 20° H: 21°
broken clouds

What’s Trending