Skip to content

Measles exposure alert issued in N.B.

The province is warning New Brunswickers about a confirmed measles case that was reported in Moncton.

The advisory that was issued on Friday outlines where people may have been exposed and what steps they should take next.

Public Health said potential exposure occurred on Air Canada Flight 1986 from Toronto to Moncton on July 7, which departed at 9 p.m.

The department also lists the arrivals area at the Greater Moncton Romeo LeBlanc International Airport between 12:30 a.m. and 3:10 a.m. on July 8.

A third exposure location is The Moncton Hospital emergency department between 6 a.m. and noon that same day.

Officials say individuals who are not immune to measles may be eligible for post‑exposure prophylaxis, a treatment that can reduce the risk of infection if given within 72 hours.

Anyone who believes they were exposed and is unsure of their immunity is asked to call 506‑378‑1473 to determine whether they qualify.

Public Health stated that people born before 1970 are generally considered protected from measles.

Those born after 1970 need two documented doses of a measles‑containing vaccine, often listed as MMR, unless they were previously infected.

The department is asking anyone who visited the listed locations to monitor for symptoms until July 29.

Symptoms can include fever, cough, runny nose, sore or red eyes, or tiny white spots in the mouth.

Public Health says a rash typically appears three to five days after symptoms begin and usually starts on the face before spreading to the rest of the body.

Symptoms can develop up to three weeks after exposure.

Officials are advising anyone who develops symptoms not to go to an emergency department, clinic, workplace or school.

Instead, they should isolate from others and contact Tele‑Care 811 for guidance.

The province’s social media advisory also stresses that people with symptoms should not visit an ER or doctor’s office.

Public Health says vaccination remains the best protection against measles and other regularly occurring illnesses such as pertussis and influenza.

Immunization appointments can be booked through the provincial scheduler.

The department also encourages regular handwashing and covering coughs and sneezes during outbreaks or flu season.

The province has released the full exposure details along with related guidance.

Author

  • Alex Allan is an award-winning multimedia journalist and graduate of Fanshawe College's Journalism Broadcasting and Digital Communication Management programs. He is based in Saint John and covers stories across New Brunswick. Contact Alex at allana@radioabl.ca.

Do you have a news tip?

Submit to NBNews@radioabl.ca.

What’s Trending