The union representing 4,400 WestJet flight attendants has issued a 72-hour strike notice.
Bargaining between CUPE 8125 and the airline has been ongoing while the two remain at odds.
CUPE says their members have been clear about what they are fighting for from the beginning, but the parties remain far apart on some key issues.
In a statement, Thursday, Alexis von Hoensbroech, Chief Executive Officer of the WestJet Group says the decision to lockout members was not made lightly.
“We greatly value the work and contributions of our Cabin Crew, and it is our responsibility to ensure the integrity of our network and to minimize the risk of stranding our guests, crew and aircraft.”
Hoensbroech says the lockout does not mean an immediate impact to operations or that a strike will even happen.
In a statement to Acadia News, president of the union Alia Hussain says they don’t want to strike but are prepared to if necessary.
“We want to continue bargaining, but it’s up to WestJet to make the meaningful progress needed to avoid a strike,” says Hussain.
Hussain adds that the biggest sticking point remains unpaid work and wage rates.
“Flight attendants should be paid for all the work they do, and we can no longer remain the lowest in Canada,” explains Hussain.
“It remains up to WestJet to end unpaid work and reach a fair deal without unpaid travel.”
The airline added change and cancel options earlier this week for fights scheduled between July 30 and August 4.
The airline also said WestJet Encore flights on Q400 aircraft and codeshare flights operated by partner carriers would not be affected if there is a disruption.
The strike could start August 2.
–With files from Alex Allan


