Skip to content

N.B. Adds One Death, One New Case And Confirms A Sixth Variant Case

Public Health officials confirmed another death related to COVID-19

A person in their 80s in Zone 4 (Edmundston health region) died from underlying conditions, including COVID-19. New Brunswick now has 26 deaths linked to the virus.

One new case was added on Monday, also in Zone 4. The person in their 40s is a close contact of a known case and is self-isolating.

The province also added its sixth case of the COVID-19 U.K. variant involving a previously reported case in Zone 4.

A sample sent to Winnipeg’s National Microbiology Laboratory earlier this month from Moncton’s Dr. Georges-L-Dumont University Hospital Centre’s microbiology laboratory has been confirmed as a COVID-19 U.K. variant.

Meanwhile, a previously identified case in Zone 3 (Fredericton health region) has been removed from the list of confirmed cases due to the identification of false-positive results.

“In certain rare situations, such as this one, the results were not in keeping with the patient information or the COVID-19 activity in the area, so the samples were retested,” Public Health said in a news release.

Public Health said their lab is currently working to determine the cause of the false positive.

New Brunswick now has 84 active cases of COVID-19 with two more recoveries reported since Monday.

Two people are currently in the hospital, including one person in intensive care.

 

Author

  • Tara Clow is a multi-award-winning news anchor and reporter with more than 30 years of experience at radio stations across Canada. She is a graduate of the Radio and TV Arts program at Toronto Metropolitan University and the Humber College radio broadcasting program. She is based in Moncton and covers stories across Canada. Contact Tara at clow.tara@radioabl.ca.

Do you have a news tip?

Submit to NBNews@radioabl.ca.

loader-image
Moncton, NB
2:40 am, May 20, 2026
weather icon 9°C
L: 9° H: 9°
few clouds

What’s Trending