Skip to content

High‑risk offender arrested after Moncton firearm case

A coordinated police operation has led to the arrest of a high‑risk offender in Moncton following a reported firearm incident earlier this summer.

The Codiac Regional RCMP said that officers arrested a 28‑year‑old man on July 30 at about 2:30 p.m. in downtown Moncton.

Police said the operation involved the Codiac Regional Crime Reduction Unit, the General Investigation Section, the New Brunswick RCMP Emergency Response Team and RCMP Air Services.

The man was wanted in connection with a June 1 incident in Moncton, during which police said a firearm was pointed at another person.

Mounties said the man was considered armed and dangerous, and several specialized units were deployed to locate and arrest him safely.

Police stated the man appeared in court on July 31.

He was charged with assault with a weapon, pointing a firearm, carrying a weapon for the purpose of committing an offence, possession of a restricted firearm without being the holder of a licence and possession of a restricted weapon while prohibited.

He remains in custody and is scheduled to return to court on Aug. 21.

“The safe arrest of this individual was the result of careful planning and coordination between several specialized RCMP units,” Cpl. Hans Ouellette of the New Brunswick RCMP said in the release

Author

  • Alex Allan is an award-winning multimedia journalist and graduate of Fanshawe College's Journalism Broadcasting and Digital Communication Management programs. He is based in Saint John and covers stories across New Brunswick. Contact Alex at allana@radioabl.ca.

Do you have a news tip?

Submit to NBNews@radioabl.ca.

What’s Trending