A Sussex recreation center is opening its doors again, after a week of uncertainty surrounding the facility’s future.
Executive Director Stephanie McFarlane confirmed in a social media update on Thursday morning that the Nutrien Civic Centre will resume operations on Aug.14.
While she acknowledged that the centre is still struggling financially, McFarlane said she spoke with the facility’s board of directors on Wednesday, and they are working on developing a long-term sustainability plan to reduce the facility’s reliance on financial assistance.
“The board of directors and myself, we are all very well aware of where our dollars come from; we are all taxpayers of the Kings region,” she said. “We know we can’t, especially in this environment, go back asking for more.”
McFarlane said the centre will also explore fundraising opportunities and make changes to its membership model to streamline the process.
The facility announced it was closing last week, due to funding shortfalls.
RELATED: Sussex recreation facility to close effective Aug. 8 due to funding issues
McFarlane shared the news in an earlier social media post, explaining that due to recent quarterly payments from its funding partner, Kings Regional Service Commission, falling short, the centre couldn’t meet payroll.
The centre officially closed its doors on Aug. 8 and was at risk of staying closed permanently.
Following the announcement, Sussex mayor Marc Thorne released a statement later that day expressing his concerns about regional partners’ failure to meet financial commitments for the civic centre.
Thorne said he met with Local Government Minister Aaron Kennedy, Deputy Minister Charbel Awad and Assistant Deputy Minister Jennifer Wilkins to discuss his concerns about “regional partners” failing to meet financial commitments for shared recreational services.
Thorne said he “specifically warned that Ministerial intervention would be necessary to ensure the Nutrien Civic Centre continued to receive the funding owed to it through its agreement with the Kings Regional Service Commission.”
Thorne claimed that Butternut Valley and Valley Waters’ financial commitments towards the centre remained largely unmet for a year and a half, with the amount owed to the Kings RSC almost approaching $400,000.
Both Valley Waters and Butternut Valley refuted Thorne’s claims in statements posted to social media.
RELATED: Mayors respond to Nutrien Civic Centre closure
Valley Waters mayor Randy McNight particularly said the municipality would pursue legal avenues related to defamation, threats and harassment.
In the new statement, McFarlane also acknowledged the centre’s role in people’s everyday life, noting that for many people the facility provides more than just a place to exercise.
“We are very well aware that we are a part of people’s day and routine, whether it’s for exercise, movement [or] the social aspect,” she said.
McFarlane added that following its reopening, the facility will continue to operate as it had previously, while the board looks for solutions.
She also said staff will be in the centre as early as 4:45 a.m. to welcome members.


